Thursday, April 2, 2015

Insurgency: M40A3 Sniper Rifle with a Twist

Red Dot Sniper

Over the last week, I have been messing around with the loadout system in Insurgency, a game I reviewed a while back. The intuitive "supply points" system along with the different roles you can take on can lead to some interesting combinations. For the next couple weeks or so, I will be posting about the different fun and new experiences I had with these unique loadouts.

Snipers. The word strikes fear into any enemy force, as this elite class of soldiers can strike silently and suddenly with no warning from distances that are sometimes unfathomable. The typical tool in this trade is a powerful bolt-action rifle with an even more powerful long-range scope attached to it. The age-old combo is a must-have in any modern era shooter, as the class is as iconic as it is deadly. Over the years, actors have been carved into film history for their interpretations of different sniper characters. My favorite is definitely Pvt. Jackson from Saving Private Ryan. The ability to successfully "snipe" in any shooter video game has captured the efforts of almost every gamer who plays the genre.

Using the very unique Insurgency supply point loadout system, I decided to modify this "set-in-stone" sniper loadout, to see what I could make out of the primary marksman rifle in the game, the M40A3 Rifle.

I loaded into a "push" gamemode server, and selected the sniper class. I chose the M40A3 and, instead of using the suggested 8x magnification long-range scope, I opted for the shorter-range red dot sight. Seeing that the red-dot scope was only 1 supply point and the massive 8x scope was 4 points, I also attached a suppressor onto my rifle. It was then clear to me that this loadout may become a very useful "behind-enemy-lines" class, due to the suppressor. I ran as far forward around enemy players as I could, and set up camp in a run-down house with some windows.

They never saw it coming.

Using my trusty bolt-action, I was picking off the enemy force one by one on their way to capture our objectives. They couldn't seem to locate my position, and whenever one did stumble across my little hut, I pulled out my suppressed pistol and eliminated the unsuspecting threat. I was racking up kills, and my team was having an easy time holding our points because I was taking out every other enemy that tried to advance forward. 

I was loving it. The unorthodox combination made for some fun times, and I couldn't stop playing. I must have sunk 2 hours completely dedicated to trying to make this combo as amazing as it could be. I never ever wore out the challenge.

Some words of warning if you are interested in trying this out, however. The loadout is best optimized for the push gamemode. I attempted to use it on different modes and it never worked the same, as push is the only mode that has a definite "front-line" so to speak.

I enjoyed my time operating as one of the more peculiar roles I've ever taken on, and I am sure I will find even more fun things to try, due to the very intuitive loadout system that is one of the factors in making Insurgency one of my favorite first person shooter games to date.

Word Count: 557

1 comment:

  1. I've been hunting down some not too bad stuff on the subject and haven't had any fortunes up until this point, You just got another greatest fan!.. Tactical Carbine Training

    ReplyDelete